Sunday, November 06, 2005

And now, something that makes me happy.

I bought this album after hearing "Lua" on Sirius radio. Sometimes you hear songs that your body has a visceral reaction to. "Lua" was one of those. A couple of weeks later, I heard "Another travellin' song" and I was hooked. I've bought albums after hearing two tracks before, and been greatly disappointed, but this time I lucked out.

"I'm wide awake, it's morning" is a great album. Connor Oberst's lyrics and songwriting ability work like this: summon all the angst, sorrow, rage, and joy you can and boil those feelings down into the most piercing words and notes you can collect. Record.

Whether he's imploring us to stare into the face of the criminals we kill, relating the story of a joyous day spent rioting against the Bush regime, or his own insecurities as a musician (I could be a famous singer, if I had someone else's voice, but failure's always sounded better, fuck it up boys, make some noise!) Oberst evokes my own emotions and I'm not ashamed when I'm caught up in the winds of one of his songs. His tirades seem like my own personal howlings.

Do yourself a favor. Buy this.

No comments: