Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hugely Underrated Punk Records













Swingin' Utters have been around for years. This was their second release on Fat Wreck Chords, and one of my all-time favorite punk records. This was the first time I got exposed to the Pogues and folk sound that other bands would also develop (Especially Flogging Molly, a standout band and Against Me! who are really folk singers) and at that time, it really blew me away. The songwriting is profoundly antagonistic to dumb young punks and 'the scene'. Much of it is catchy, and Johnny 'peebucks' Bonnel's scratchy vocals perfectly compliment the worldly music. I'll leave you with these lyrics:

The fascists and their many guises
Anarchists and their fantasizing
seems sometimes they're sailing the same boat
Politicians mesmerizing throngs of automated souls
As some similar pyscho's screwing on a scope
...
There may be many ways of reaching the same plateau
I'll take the road less traveled if it looks like it ain't been sold
The chains around my neck won't break
But at least they're made of solid gold.
Which is the punk-as-fuck ethos summed up nicely.

No comments: