Friday, June 30, 2006

That's one bad boss.

Working America recently ran a campaign to get people to send in their 'bad boss' stories. The winner is a doozy.

To wit:

"He paints by the number," was the excuse I was given when I wanted to okay a psychiatric hospital stay for a patient who was out of state.

My patient was a veteran suffering from trauma triggered by watching news coverage of the war in Iraq. He had been taken to emergency and when they called for authorization, my boss said they cost too much. I tried to get the hopsital to bring the price down. So, they discharged my patient after making him put $5000 on his credit card. I tried to get the money back for him and get my boss to okay paying the hospital. It went back and forth for too long.

The patient committed suicide. He shot himself in the head.

I couldn't quit crying when I heard and took the rest of the day off. I used my personal time to do it.

My boss complained to my supervisor . He said, "I don't know why she had to take the day off. People commit suicide everyday."

I no longer work there. I'm in therapy now.


Shit, I'd be in therapy too.

No comments: