Wednesday, July 13, 2005

About last night...

So last night I attended my very first political gathering of one of the two main political parties in this country. I even attended with the intent to join and---gasp--get more involved.

I won't tell you which of the two it was.

But here's the thing. I actually enjoyed the shit out it. The conversation was engaging, there was some very heated discussion about what function a local party organization should serve, and some lively debate about organizational platforms and the role that they should play individual candidates.

And, dear readers (I type that just for the sheer comedic affect it has on me) I think I'm going to be a precinct committeeman.

Yup. The 90th precinct in Lombard may not know what is about to hit it.

Like a hurricane!

I'm going to another party-type function this Saturday where I'm told all the secrets of the universe will be revealed before me.

Kind of like the upper levels of Scientology--just kidding, don't sue!

Or if the secrets of the infinite aren't spread out before me like some cosmic deli tray backstage at a Spinal Tap show, then at least I can meet other folks from the same political party (again, my lips are sealed) and try and figure out what the fuck is going on.

And in this, my new phase of activism, my overiding mantra remains the same.

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, but that's never stopped me before.

No comments: