Thursday, July 14, 2005

Three quick hits. Maybe four if you're good.

1. To all my friends who have IT jobs who think that labor laws have no impact on them and their livelihoods...I ask you to think again. An inventive (and by inventive I mean really willing to blatantly screw the shit out of people) company has figured out that once you're three miles off the US coast, the Department of Labor can't bust you for wage and working condition violations. Not that they would ever actually do such a thing, but I digress.

Clearly then, the only solution is to hire as many people willing to work for sub-standard wages as possible and put them on a boat! Then --and here's the funny part-- you'll keep it there while they work for you!

Har! Har har!

(and another tip of the hat to Kevin Drum--you'd think it's the only site I read).

2. The leading republican candidate for congress in my district (suburban 6th all the way baby!) took some money from Grover Norquist, king-maker for the radical, rapture right.

Roskam! Pete Roskam! I'm a Runnin' for Congress! Thanks for the check Mr. Norquist!

3. My good friend Ryan's band Valient Thorr is now on the Warped Tour, and dear readers (see post below about the value of such comments) you're just fools if you don't buy their new album.
Damn Fools. A finer rock band you'd be hard pressed to find. So buy the album. Visit the website. See a live show. It's America, and at least until next week, you're still free to do those things.
(Full disclosure, they're hopefully going to get Mrs. Inallmyyears and I free passes in to the Warped tour this year when they hit Chicago*).
4. Okay, you've been good, and so I give a fourth point. The right's attempts to spin away Karly-Karl's involvement in the outing of a CIA officer would be funny if the media didn't take their blatant lies as seriously as they do indisputable facts. Greg Saunders at This Modern World has a few suggestions for the right as they try and deal with this clusterfuck.
To which I can only add this:
I suggest the "fuck you" defense. Yeah I did it. I'm Karl Rove, so fuck you. You're not investigating jack, and it would take a diamond drill to remove me from the President's cerebellum, so go take a walk. A long walk. Off a short pier.
And to think, I remember during the presidential campaign when John Kerry was an asshole for mentioning that Dick Cheney's clearly out daughter was a lesbian. The times they-are-a-changin'.
*the rest of the tour sucks in an unbelievably bad way this year. But I digress.

No comments: