Monday, July 11, 2005

The definition of not a bad afternoon

Yesterday we had tickets for Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson, who were playing at a minor league ballpark not far from home. The afternoon was warm, but as the show went on, the day developed into perfection for this kind event.

Willie's set was great, with his son on lead guitar and the rest of a good band behind him. He ran through his songs pretty quickly, and was wonderful to hear his voice and see him up on stage. I respect Willie for many reasons, for instance his relationship with Johnny Cash, he backed Dennis Kucinich in '08, he made an appearance with Crackers the Corporate Crime Fighting Chicken in the Awful Truth, he just seems like a pretty swell guy all around.

So add this one into Willie's swell column. Seems old Willie started up a biodiesel gas station back home in Austin and folks are going nutso for it. Right on, Willie, right on. Pack another bowl, man, you earned it.

I've seen Dylan twice now, and each time, I didn't recognize any of the songs (even the ones I know). He's changed the arrangements a lot, I suppose because he's tired of playing the same damn songs, over and over again. I can't blame him, but it makes for a different kind of show. When I've seen Dylan, I feel like I'm doing something I should, more than enjoying an entertainer or rocking out at a show. Don't get me wrong, It's great to see Dylan, it's just a different kind of show.

So, all in all, the classic definition of not a bad afternoon.

Sunshine. Check.
Dancing with my wife. Check.
Willie Nelson. Hoo-boy! Check.
Lots of hippies getting high all around us. Check.

Now, on to the rest of the week. Arbitrations, Unfair Labor Practices, and bargaining.

No comments: