Friday, November 25, 2005

That Liberal New York Times

I wish I did my own original writing on this kind of stuff, but what happens most often is that I run across someone who says what I would have, but says it much better than I can.

Case in Point: Amanda Marcotte has a great post up at Pandagon about the New York Times' obsession with the downful of upper-middle class feminism. This is nothing new, nor is it confined to gender issues.

There are frequent articles in the Home & Garden, Fashion & Style, or even the National news sections of the Times that focus on--you guessed it--lifestyles of the well to do and merely filthy rich.

This particular article focuses on career women--what Marcotte refers to as the Strawfeminist--who have given up their mannish business ways to care for elderly parents. Marcotte raises the most salient point--that most people don't have 'careers' to give up. They work for a check because it's what they have to do, and when the time to take care of their folks comes, they simply do that, raise their families and work themselves to death.

I guess it's just that those kinds of situations don't make for good feminist backlash stories because they're a: too depressing, and b: about poor and working folks, whom the corporate media generally doesn't have too much use for anyway.

No comments: